Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Staying Positive.

So I spoke to a chiropractor friend of mine today about my shoulder (from Thursday, which is still giving me problems) and he told me it's probably a small tear and to take at least two weeks off.

Damn.

I guess this is a sign that I was training hard but not smart...I've never been good at the latter, to be honest.

Five days of PT in a row probably wasn't a good idea considering how much weight and maximum efforts I was doing...shut up, hind-sight.

When my shoulder and hip heal up I'm thinking this:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Full Body + Medium Effort Run
Wednesday: Push/Pull/Core + Tempo/Interval Run
Thursday: Easy Run + Lower Body
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Push/Pull/Core + Easy Run
Sunday: Push/Pull/Core + Long Run

This will give me three full days of rest for my upper body, two full days and an active rest day for my legs (Saturday).  This sounds good to me, if you have an opinion then please comment.

Hurting my shoulder has opened my eyes to the fact that, regardless of my slight megalomania, I am NOT superhuman.  I am a biological creature that is prone to breakdown and structural imbalance.  However, I am a thinking creature and a problem solver so these breakdowns or imbalances are treatable.  The question I must ask myself now is, where are my weaknesses and how to I eliminate them?

I think the way to answer this is to see what the most common injuries are in BUD/S, the type of exercises that I'm doing and what specifically can I do to address the issues.




The most common injuries/problems that occur in BUD/S are:
  • Stress fractures from running
  • ITB syndrome from soft sand running
  • Rotator Cuff Injuries
  • Shoulder Labrum injuries (overhead training with the logs and boats)
  • Neck Injuries
So in general, the problems break down largely into two areas: legs (hips, knees, ankles/shins) and the shoulder girdle.  I have plenty of ways to strengthen my neck, which I should absolutely do due to the demands of the boat carries, but I digress.

Prehab for the legs should include:
  • foam rolling and stretching everyday, especially the calf and achilles
  • run in properly fitting footwear
  • strengthen muscles around the shin
  • strengthen the lateral hip muscles
  • run on unstable terrain
  • warm up and cool down
  • supplement with calcium and vitamin c
Prehab for the shoulders should include:
  • loosen things up with lacrosse ball every now and again
  • stretch the pecs and lats
  • warm up and cool down
  • Rotator cuff strengthening work (listed below and in the videos)
  • Lots of overhead work with arms in front of the ears!

Lat stretches
prayer stretch
fetus yoga
Pec stretches
corner stretch
Rotator cuff/Shoulder stability stuff
internal rotation NW to SE (from outside the body)
external rotation: NW to SE (from across the body...should be felt in back of shoulder)
arm at the side position (bitch slap): keep shoulder blades open
arm at side (back hand bitch slap)
straight arm shoulder lift: 45 degrees dont go too high
cable rows: contract between shoulder blades
straight arm lat press
Turkish get-ups
bicep douche curls
ball Y's and T's
Leg stuff
monster walks
calf raises
lateral cable rows
pistol squats on bosu ball
balance trainer


My shoulder is feeling much better right now, but earlier today it felt pretty terrible.  One of my clients gave me a sling and it's helped to limit my movement and not allow me to search for the painful angles (stupid, I know).  Ibuprofen has helped a TON.  The inflammation I think was causing my shoulder to impinge upon itself, pinching the nerve or bursa sac or tear.  Heat has also helped a ton, but ice at this point makes it feel worse and tight.

Rest + Ice/Heat + Anti-Inflammatory = An impatient athlete, but a humbled and determined athlete.

My mind kept going back to the internal dialogue of, "this is bullshit, I'm so fucking pissed off, why does this always happen, here's another damn hurdle, blah, blah, blah."  Victim type stuff.  But I kept forcing myself to think positive, to control my internal environment and to adapt to the event.  "This is just another test of will, this time will pass and I'll be smarter and stronger, this is a  learning experience meant to teach me self control and it's an opportunity to settle some things, read some books, hang out with my dog and enjoy the holiday with my family...I'll be back in no time and will completely forget all these frustrated emotions, and I'll create more intelligent programs for myself."

Maybe it's my fault that you didn't see that my failures gave
me strength; that my pain gave me motivation.                        
              -Michael Jordan


2 comments:

  1. Hey Dakotah...nice to read about your training...sorry about the injury. I just want to throw out a possible path you might want to consider. I'm visiting Ryan this weekend at the base in Portsmouth and he related to me how the Navy is looking for corpsmen to go with the Marine Force Recon. They are about 30% down in numbers there. Marine Force Recon is about as tough a training regimen next to BUD/S as you can find. If you go for the SEALs and I know you aim to pass but sometimes things don't work out..(injury or whatever) you'll find yourself back at whatever MOS you picked for the next 4 years. If you picked Corpsman, then you'll still have the opportunity to go greenside and be in the Marines as well as have a great foundation in medical training. Also while you are training for Corpsman, you'll be able to save some money for the eye operation you need and you'll get you're training in San Antonio so you'd be back in Texas for a while. Things are getting tighter and tighter in the services so I wouldn't wait too long. You can do a DEP and go in after the summer. In anycase, good luck! -Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. B-bob, my man. Thank you for the comment!

    Corpsman is going to be my rating when I go in. That or foreign language, which is very competitive.

    However, the only way I get a guaranteed spot at BUD/S is to sign the SEAL Challenge contract. It's very hard to earn a spot at BUD/S from within the fleet and it is a two-year minimum fleet service--even then they don't have to send you, especially if they need you. At least this is what the recruiter told me.

    I was offered an EOD contract but I turned it down, it just didn't feel right. It wasn't the reason that I decided to join the service in the first place. It was against all of the principles and virtues I had decided on for myself. I set out on a mission to do one thing--it's SEALs or bust man and damn if biology is going to hold me back. There is no back up plan.

    In digression, I don't think I've ever had the time to properly thank you and Kathy for all you've done for me; you're like a father man, and Kathy a mother. I value your opinions to the highest degree and I know ya'll (sorry, Texas.) only want the best for me but trust me: I'm committed.

    Let me know when Ryan is coming home on leave. I'd like to make it back home some time after the holidays and it would be good to see him. I'll also tear some ass in corn hole...pun intended.

    ReplyDelete